Today is the 13th annual Pat Tillman 4.2 mile run which has been held every year since he was killed in combat while serving as an Army Ranger in Afghanistan. This years race is the largest to date with over 28,000 participants.
Every year the Tillman foundation gives away full scholarships to veterans and active duty service members from all branches of service in both undergraduate and graduate studies that cover all expenses for awardees.
Who was Pat Tillman you ask, well here are some quick facts
- He married his High School sweetheart (Marie Ugenti Tillman) and was very close to friends and family.
- He started his college career in 1994 at ASU as a linebacker and got the last scholarship for the team.
- He majored in marketing at ASU with a 3.85 GPA he graduated in 3.5 years
- He was selected as the 226th pick in the NFL draft (one of the last players chosen) by the Arizona Cardinals.
- He turned down a 5 year, $9 million dollar contract from the St. Louis Rams out of loyalty to the Cardinals. Amazing right! This guys loyalty is something that was unwavering
- He finished his NFL career with 155 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 9 pass deflections and 1 interception for 30 yards.
- He enlisted in the army after 9-11 and completed basic training in September 2002
- He was killed by friendly fire while serving as a Ranger with the 2nd Ranger Battalion.
- The army meritoriously promoted him to corporal and he was awarded, posthumously, the Silver Star, Purple Heart, and Meritorious Service Medal
This event has been growing year over year and has given more scholarships away to service members and veterans attending ASU that has impacted so many lives, it’s an honor to be an ASU Sundevil.